Pirie news from 1941 Des Nosey Parker

A special Port was bottled to mark the 100th anniversary of Port Pirie Cricket in March 1984. Pictured are Peter Joyce, left, Barry Rotaunay, Darren Walsh, Jim Grieve, Lloyd Pollard, Bernie Threadgold, Association Chariman Jack Tiller.
A special Port was bottled to mark the 100th anniversary of Port Pirie Cricket in March 1984. Pictured are Peter Joyce, left, Barry Rotaunay, Darren Walsh, Jim Grieve, Lloyd Pollard, Bernie Threadgold, Association Chariman Jack Tiller.

The Recorder columnist Des "Nosey" Parker looks at what made news in 1941:

Port Pirie men's hairdresser raised the price of hair cuts to nine pence. The hairdressers at the time was H.J Watts, T. Wilton, L. Currie, T. Stanley, L. Batty, V. Wellington, T. Bollmeyer, T. Coligan, F. Gray, W. Sanyer, R.J. Gray, J. Davis and C. Kirakos.

St Mark's Q.C passes were Gwen Price, Michael Stokes, Kevin Beck, Fred Degennaro, Cyril Brown, Thomas Hackett, Lawrence Shearer, Kevin Speck, Patricia Connelly, Fay Herbert, Kathleen Markham, Patricia Millard, Ruth Stephen and Joyce Yule.

The top students at Solomontown Primary School was Grade 7 Clive Leske - Betty Williams, Grade 7 Brenton Howard - Patty Franke, Grade 5 William Hutchinson - Joan Watts, Grade 4 Llyod Donnellon - Helen Davies, Grade 3 Erness Broughton - Joan Dallaway.

The last race meeting was held at the Port Pirie Racecourse on Warnertown Road opposite Savoy Park.

The Housing Trust built new homes in Veal and Jellicoe Street.

Port Football Club wins their first game.

The Den Social Club was formed. The club did wonderful things for the town during World War II by putting on many fundraising shows for the town.

A Munition Amnere was built at the smelters with a workforce of 250.

Max Dowling became the first Port Pirie soldier killed in World War II. Dowling Street is named after him.

In one of the most disatrous Pirie fire's for many years, the Central Mission hall was destroyed an The Recorder office severely damaged. About 48 hours of rain and wind followed the Alexander Street blaze. The rear portion of The Recorder building and most of the machinery hall was completely wrecked. The fire originated in the Central Mission hall. A dry decrepit weather board structure, which was erected 60 years ago.

All shops shut down for lunch 12.30pm to 1.30pm.

Charles Geddes timber stacks on the Baltk Wharf was moved to the premises of W.J. Pimilott on the Main Road.

A new football association under 16 team was formed. The captains and vice captains were Proprietary B. Wiskar - J. Reeves, Port C. Thompson - L. Corrie, Solomontown J. Smith - M. Thornton.

About 18 bookmakers as at the Port Pirie spring meeting.

St Mark's football goes out. Old stalwarts express regret at the wind up social. The club became known as Port Football Club. A meeting was held at the Federal Hotel.

The new bombing and gunnery school in Port Pirie houses 585 men.

Pirie throws open another door of hospitality when 450 attend the new thumbs-up hut - the Parish hall. It was open to all Defence Forces in uniform.

The town was flooded wen the River Broughton overflowed.