With regional sport in the balance due to the coronavirus, the Spencer Gulf Football League has now given the 2020 season the go-head for July 4.
The backflip decision comes after Premier Steven Marshall announced further easing of restrictions, which allows gatherings of up to 300 outdoors and up to 75 patrons seated indoors.
The 10 round season will consist of five clubs going head-to-head for the premiership title.
Lions and Port have joined West Augusta, Central Augusta and South Augusta to make the 2020 Spencer Gulf football season a reality.
Spencer Gulf Football League president Les Promnitz said despite fears of clubs losing players to Northern Areas, there were a number of factors that led to the final decision.
"When we originally decided to cancel the season, we considered player and volunteer welfare and the lack of income that clubs would generate due to the restrictions," he said.
"Once a number of those restrictions had changed, we had a number of players who still wanted to play football."
Mr Promnitz said although footy was making a comeback, the community needed to comply with restrictions.
"We are going to have requirements in place for social distancing and sanitisation," he said.
"If we do not comply and the public does not comply, then they will shut us down."
Lions Football Club secretary Marc Congdon said there had been an outpouring of support received from players, volunteers and the wider community.
"Once we saw the restrictions were being lifted and we could actually raise money to support the club we thought it was a great idea to continue," he said.
"The players seem to be really excited and I think it is because we are ready to go and have a date set.
"Come out, do the right thing and get your local footy fix."