You’ve probably heard of the Australian of the Year Awards that profile leading citizens who are role models for all of us.
Run by The Australia Day Council National Network, they also oversee the Aussie of the Month, which is a primary school recognition program that has been in operation for over 20 years.
Aussie of the Month reflects similar values, and aims to encourage achievement within schools plus bring about increased concern for all members of the school community.
- Fair go – not just how we apply ourselves but also opportunity for all
- Mateship - generosity of spirit and compassion for those in need
- Respect – of self, others, of our community and the environment
- Inclusion – celebrating difference and entitled rights and freedoms
“The program recognises personal endeavour, achievement and contribution to the community and reflects some of the values we share,” a spokesperson said.
“It aims to encourage and recognise students for their contribution to community through a demonstration of Australian values as outlined in the Values for Australian Schooling and Curriculum framework.
“These are values outside of academic application, instead about active contribution to school, community and peer groups.
“Students are nominated, selected and recognised each month at school assemblies by their school.”
Many schools have successfully integrated Aussie of the Month into their civics and citizenship curriculum by using the program to generate discussion about participation outside the school e.g. Clean Up Australia Day, Harmony Day, Youth Week, World Environment Day etc.
The school signs up and appoints a school coordinator who receives the free recipient kits. Then each month they follow a four-stage process:
- Nomination - Teachers or students can nominate the monthly recipient using a downloaded nomination form.
- Selection - The winner is selected by the principal, students, teachers or parent committee. It’s up to the school to decide what works.
- Presentation - Once a month at the regular assembly, the Aussie of the Month is presented. The students receive their certificates, stationery gift, lapel badge and have their photo taken.
- Promotion - All participating schools are encouraged to share and promote this via their own social media and on the Aussie of the Month website.
To register, schools should visit aussieofthemonth.org.au/register.