Victory wins State League 2 grand final

Playford City regrettably has copped a big whack of three disappointing finals defeats last weekend when all three teams that had finished top in the regular season lost their grand finals.

It just goes to show how deciding soccer finals pan out when you least expect them and the Ramsay Park faithful can be excused for being shattered about losing all three end of season trophies. At Coopers Stadium last Saturday only one favoured team won, with the State League 2 early final minor premiers and logical selection Playford City lost 0-2 to 5th finishing ladder team Adelaide Victory who was the best outfit on the day.

In the State League 1 second final Adelaide Raiders defeated Adelaide Blue Eagles for the third straight occasion in this final’s series when it certainly proved once and for all it was the best team in the second tier FFSA competition. And in the evening and Premier League Grand Final the Joe Mullen coached Campbelltown City defeated Adelaide City 1-0 to repeat its home final win with an identical score in an easier contest than their last where Campbelltown won in extra time. 

Finals surprise

The State League 2 team Adelaide Victory that finished 5th on the ladder has proved to be the real surprise of the FFSA final series and on Saturday at Coppers Stadium the Yianni Stamatelopoulos coached team knocked off favourites and minor premiers Playford City 2-0. Adelaide Victory led 1-0 at halftime after a sixth minute penalty conversion by the league’s top goal scorer George Katsigiannis and was able to hold its lead over Playford and look the best of the two teams fighting out for this season’s silverware.

The second half again saw Victory again challenge strongly against the Ben Moore coached Playford combination in what was some surprise especially when the Ramsay Park outfit had the easier of the two team’s road to the grand final. Last Saturday’s final was refereed by Jonathon Hunter and while he had awarded an early penalty to Adelaide Victory against Playford goalkeeper Anthony Capaldi his control on the game was good even though in the last half hour Playford pushed the issue somewhat as it chased the equalizer and a possible game changer.

Victory’s attacking midfielder Domenico Tallandira and captain Herman Fombason caused the Elizabeth based opponents the most troubles throughout the game, but the Ben Moore mentored Playford did get its moments mainly through Chol Wel and Daniel Maguire. The grand final did see typical close chances go begging at both ends but it was the Adelaide Victory team that played with an early goal up its sleeve that always seemed to be travelling best in the last game of the season. And it was at the 83rd minute that Victory finally scored its second goal to seal the Coopers Stadium Grand Final when a ball from the left flank was played along the by-line and into the Victory box where Playford City defender Michael Oliver unfortunately nudged the ball into his own net for a 2-0 win and a quick return back into State League 1 for Victory.