Nosey Parker: From the 1944 archives

FROM THE SEVENTIES: The Virtus Soccer Club's 1973 B Grade side, in the back row, from left, S Lobasso, L Paparella, J Mezzini, A Russo, P Bellifemini, J DeGiglio, V Saracino, F Saracino, and, in front, M Gaudio, N Mezzino, A Gaudio, J Saracino and G Rafanelli.
FROM THE SEVENTIES: The Virtus Soccer Club's 1973 B Grade side, in the back row, from left, S Lobasso, L Paparella, J Mezzini, A Russo, P Bellifemini, J DeGiglio, V Saracino, F Saracino, and, in front, M Gaudio, N Mezzino, A Gaudio, J Saracino and G Rafanelli.

The foundation stone for the new Mission to Seamen Institute was laid by Miss Adelaide Miethke, the South Australian organiser of the Schools Patriotic Fund.  She paid tribute to Port Pirie schools which had raised 4000 pounds towards the building. 

Mr R.W Mackey retired, popularly known as Bill the Bottle-oh. He had been collecting bottles for more than 20 years. He averaged 50 dozen a day. He came to Port Pirie with his parents in 1895. His parents began making the famous Mackey hop beer, ginger and tonic ale in a store on Beach Road. Bill ran a store in Wilkins Street on the corner of Prince Street for many years.

Students presented a concert at the Baptist Hall. They were Glynne Eyers, Don McLeod, Elwyn Johnson, Noelle Hopkins, Beverley Ridland, John Lillywhite, Desmond Parr, Pam Ellery, Judith Marsh, Brian Laube, Bob Laube, Helen Dennis, Robert Norris, Roland Taylor, Doreen Willcocks, Peter Williams, Barbara Dawson, Kingsley Francis, Cecily Bairstow, Jean Cheesman, Trevor Ziepes, Coral Ziepes, Ron Adams, Bruce Ridland, Cynthia Melville, Robert Arnold, Patricia Pickering, Kevin Brook, Audrey Lines, Barbara Marshall, Marjorie Veal, Elizabeth Wilson, Raemon Hurst, Heather Ireland, Vivien Eyers, Isoble Gluyas, Lloyd Donnellan, Helen Stephanos, Lorna Dew, Ruth Harmer, Daphne Francis, Joyce Widger. 

Port Pirie soldiers decorated. Ptes O.E.J Dunning and K Smith were presented with the Military Medal they won from the Middle East in 1942. 

The Port Pirie Trotting Club resumd races at Memorial Oval after a two year spell during World War II. A crowd of 1500 attended and were mainly women. 

Meat rationing started. Each family could obtain four pounds of meat each week.

Bread carters must stop delivery on the streets on Sunday mornings. 

An entrant in the state-wide Miss South Australian Pin-up Girl was Miss Kath Harris, a member of Woolworths staff. She went on to win the title. 

The Morgan to Whyalla Pipeline, which is over 235 miles long, was completed. The flow of 1,200,000,000 gallons a year to Whyalla, 9,000,000 gallons to the Northern Area and 150,000,000 gallons to the Commonwealth Railways. The full cost was 3,122,000 pounds, with 4000 tonnes of steel used, and 100,000 tonnes of cement. The work started in 1940 when a start was made to lay concrete-lined steel pipes ranging from 30 inches to 21 inches, a large portion was made in Port Pirie. An average of 600 men were employed throughout the construction of the job. The Governor of South Australia Sir Malcolm Barklay Harvey opened the pipeline at Morgan.

High School Athletes Carnival house captains. Barker - K Davis, S Marshall (Blue - Eyre), C Stephanos, D Davidson (Red - Flinders), K Dyer, W Gray (Green - Stuart), C Leske, R Goode (Gold). The cup winners were boys senior - K Davis, girls senior - L Jein, boys junior - L Oaklands, girls junior - S Warner. 

Port Pirie combined footballers who played West-Glenelg at Memorial Oval were F Stigwood (capt), V Simpson (v capt), D Hannery, R Honniball, J Sier, P Fawcett,  B McPherson, E Seery, J Lumsden, G Rontaunay, L Veal, R Litchfield, J Watson, W Moyle, J McDermott, N Flannagan, J Owens, T Bryant, H Ingham, W Roseler. They defeated West-Glenelg by 66 points. 

New playground for Memorial Park. Smeltermen made swings and see-saws and placed them in a section of the park.