Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for 4
- 500g lean beef mince
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp basil leaves, finely chopped + extra leaves, to serve
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 700g bottle Passata of choice
- 1.5L (6 cups) salt-reduced beef stock
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 1cm pieces
- 60g baby spinach
- Shaved parmesan, wholegrain bread, drizzle of olive oil, to serve
- In a large bowl combine mince, garlic, onion, breadcrumbs, basil and egg. Season and combine well. Roll heaped tablespoons of mince mixture into balls (makes 24) and place on a large plate.
- In a large saucepan add passata, stock and 500ml (2 cups) water. Cover and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add meatballs and cook for 5 minutes. Add chickpeas and zucchini and cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir through baby spinach. Season.
- Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with extra basil and parmesan. Serve with bread drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Use silverbeet, kale or English spinach instead of baby spinach.
- Goats cheese or feta could be used instead of parmesan.
- The meatballs could also be pan-fried, simmered in passata and served with pasta.