Former premier Jay Weatherill breaks leg while bushwalking near Port Pirie

Former premier Jay Weatherill has “outed” himself as the bushwalker who broke his leg in Mount Remarkable National Park on Sunday.

He took to Facebook to thank his rescuers and medical staff who helped after he suffered the injury in a fall.

An alert was issued on the Country Fire Service scan about noon on Sunday for an injured walker needing extrication.

Rescuers said Mr Weatherill was a “gutsy patient” despite his pain,

In a lighthearted moment, they said they had to retrieve him because he was a Port Adelaide supporter.

Mr Weatherill later posted photos to his Facebook page with a description of what had happened.

He said it was “an ideal way to get a firsthand look at our wonderful emergency services in action - but not recommended”.

“I fell while bushwalking with my family through Hidden Gorge in Mount Remarkable National Park and broke my leg,” he said.

“I want to thank National Parks, SA Ambulance Service, police, Wilmington CFS, Booleroo Centre State Emergency Service and Port Pirie hospital.

“It took more than two hours walking uphill to carry me to an ambulance.

“Some other bushwalkers helped carry the stretcher.

“I want to thank them and everyone involved in my rescue and care.

“I have a broken lower right leg and am feeling more than a little embarrassed for causing all this fuss but, thanks to the amazing work of our park rangers, emergency services workers, including volunteers, the hospital staff, some kind strangers and my family, I am okay.”

Mr Weatherill resigned as premier after Labor lost the March state election and has become a backbencher.

Officer-in-charge of the Booleroo Centre SES Richard Fetherstonhaugh said he and other rescuers had carried Mr Weatherill for about two-and-a-half hours.

At times the pathway was only wide enough for a carrier at each end of the stretcher.

“Some strapping young lads from Tasmania came along in the nick of time and helped us,” he said.

“We were at the stage where the trail was not wide enough for people on both sides of the stretcher and we had to have one at the front and back. I just couldn’t do it.

“We finished up with a fair crew of carriers. We had a paramedic monitoring his pain level. I think he was in a worse state than he was letting on.

“Like most people he felt embarrassed that people were fussing over him.

“I give him full credit. He was a pretty gutsy patient. He told me he was a Port Adelaide supporter, too, so we had to get him out.”

Mr Weatherill is thought to have slipped on a rock in the creek of Hidden Gorge about 10.30am. He was treated and discharged at Port Pirie hospital.